Based in Belgium
October 8, 2020 (Early Access: May 15, 2019, Initial: August 17, 2016)
|EUR (excl. VAT)||€16.99|
Panoptic is a tense, 1v1 asymmetrical VR vs desktop game that pits a colossal Overseer, armed with a slow but devastating eye laser, against a tiny dissident Being intent on destroying the Overseer’s energy sources by mimicking the movements of others to remain undetected. Born out of a multi-award winning game jam prototype, Panoptic sees one player enter virtual reality as the Overseer, a powerful being that searches the world and its inhabitants for any signs of uprising. The other player uses a desktop computer to become one of the tiny Beings under the watchful eye of the Overseer. Tasked with destroying the Overseer’s energy sources, blending in becomes critical. A misstep, breaking away from the crowd cover of other Beings, or being spotted destroying an energy orb turns the search into a nerve-wracking hunt. Armed with a slow-charging eye laser capable of killing a Being with a single shot, the Overseer will suddenly have the advantage, as the dissident Being attempts to once again hide in plain sight. With an unsettling, mysterious atmosphere that hints at a dark and secretive lore, Panoptic features several levels and environments, a wondrous sense of scale, and short - but constantly intense - rounds of local 1v1 competition.
Panoptic was first conceived during the 2016 InnoGames Jam at Gamescom, at which it won 3 prizes (Main Prize, Best VR Game, and Best Game Feel). We were lucky that as prizes for the Best VR Game category, Valve gifted us HTC Vive headsets, which let us continue working on the game. After showing the game at various events, where it was always well received, we decided to take the plunge and create a studio to take the project to the next level. This happened in 2017, and we have been working on Panoptic ever since. Along the way, we worked with a publisher for a period of time, before having to change course as both us and them realized that VR was not a field they wanted to invest strongly on. But with the help of the Vlaams Audiovisueel Funds, we found a path forward. We also had the honor of getting selected to show Panoptic at the 2017 GDC Experimental Gameplay Worshop, an incredibly humbling experience for a first GDC!
- Asymmetrical, 1v1, local multiplayer VR action.
- 2 vastly different experiences, in and out of VR.
- Focus on a sense of scale, with a giant VR player and a tiny PC player.
- Various environments to play in, linked together by an implied backstory.
- Dynamic music that evolves during play.
Launch trailer YouTube
Node plays Panoptic episode 1 YouTube
Game Grumps play the Panoptic Prototype episode 1 YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "InnoGames Jam Winner : "Main Prize"" Köln, Germany, 19 August, 2016
- "InnoGames Jam Winner : "Best Game Feel"" Köln, Germany, 19 August, 2016
- "InnoGames Jam Winner : "Best VR Game"" Köln, Germany, 19 August, 2016
- "Indie Games Play 7 Winner : "Public's Choice"" Montreuil, France, 25 October, 2016
- "Indie Games Play 7 Winner : "Best Creative Game"" Montreuil, France, 25 October, 2016
- "Indie Prize Showcase 2017 Nominee : "Best Multiplayer Game"" Berlin, Germany, 10 February, 2017
- "Indie Prize Showcase 2017 Nominee : "Best VR Game"" Berlin, Germany, 10 February, 2017
- "Indie Prize Showcase 2017 Nominee : "Most Innovative Game"" Berlin, Germany, 10 February, 2017
- "GDC Experimental Gameplay Workshop 2017 Selection" San Francisco, USA, 3 March, 2017
- "BitAwards 2017 Winner : "Best XR Game"" New York, USA, 15 December, 2017
- "Belgian Game Awards 2020 Nominee : "Debut Game Of The Year"" Kortrijk, Belgium, 20 February, 2020
- "Belgian Game Awards 2020 Nominee : "PC/Console Game Of The Year"" Kortrijk, Belgium, 20 February, 2020
Request Press Copy
We are afraid this developer has not upgraded their presskit() to use distribute(). For security purposes, this form has been disabled.
About Team Panoptes
We are a three-person studio, creating some cool games in Belgium!
More information on Team Panoptes, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Thomas Van Bouwel
Former team member: Game Designer, Programmer, Level Designer, Story
Freelancer: Level Designer, 2D Artist
Freelancer: 2D Artist
Freelancer: 3D Artist
Consultant: Community Management
Intern: Level Designer
Intern: Programmer, Level Designer